viernes, 21 de enero de 2011

One uncomfortably intimate evening with Buenos Aires' domestic airport.

I'm not sure if we can tack this up to rustiness or cockiness, but I effed up. Royally. And I dragged Lloyd with me. We spontaneously purchased tickets last night to Ushuaia, the world's closest port to Antarctica, Argentina's mot southern city, "the end of the world". I haven't heard great things about it (expensive, grey, disappointing), but we needed to pick a direction in this pointy country, and bragging rights were not far from our minds. I booked us two tickets for a flights from Buenos Aires domestic airport to Ushuaia on January 13th at 5:00. I am not sitting in Buenos Aires' domestic terminal food court, baggage strewn at my feet, on January 13th, and the time is now 6:58. 6:58 p.m., 13 hours and 58 minutes after the flight took off at 5:00 a.m. Sigh. Stupid military time. Without an extra charge, we can take tommorow's 5 a.m. flight to Ushuaia...if two seats open up. Luckily, the airport is open 24 hours, Lloyd doesn't hate me, and I've got some documentation to take care of.
7:48- I buy hamburgers in the refreshingly crowded food court. We have yet to attract the attention of the employees who, I am sure, love watching sweating, swearing souls beat feet through the crowded terminal, hair unkempt, shoes untied, jackets trailing out of closes suitcases. I have offered to play as Lloyd's personal servant for the reminaing hours until, fingers crossed, our flight takes off, but he'll insist a burger will do. Fine. Done.
8:09- Vodka is added to our cokes.
8:54- Seats in food court are getting REALLY uncomfortable, but according to Lloyd's recent toilet break, there areother backpackers, who, apparently, also need to sleep in the airport because they too come from countries who don't observe military time because its STUPID.
9:30- Paige finishes her book, and sadly discovers that Lloyd doesn't like cards.
9:35- Paige gives in and watches soccer, which plays 29 hours a day in this country.
10:16- We move out of the food court when luckly locals are packing up and go home and sleep in their own beds. We watch an episode of Family Guy, one we've watched so much we quote most of the episode. Pretty sad when you watch television just to pass the time. Waiiiittt.... Isn't that what t.v. is for??
2:08- Jolt awake on the hard marble floor of the airport, zamboni type machine almost runs over my feet.
3:20- Check in our bags
5:01- Plane for Ushuaia leaves full as a tick on a dog, without Lloyd and Paige aboard.
5:02- Paige cries.
5:48- Retrieve bags from "Lost and Found". I am marginally relieved that they are not on their way to Ushuaia without their owners.
6:15- Moves in a hazy state for the next ten hours, misses a second flight to Ushuaia, gives in a buys a ticket to Bariloche, paying, in total, more than the longer flight to Ushuaia. Not the second sigh of the day.
I could go on. But I'm not too keen to relive the experience. All you people need to know is that we made it. To Bariloche, that is.

1 comentario:

  1. I'm sorry, little one. Wish I could have been there to play cards with you. Or see how many we could stick on our face at one time - whatever. And, I'm sorry I keep missing our Skype date. When will you have some time for this week? Let's nail this bitch DOWN! Miss your guts.

    ResponderEliminar