jueves, 3 de marzo de 2011

Salar de Uyuni with a cut on my foot.

So, I won´t linger on this- my laptop got stolen. Lloyd and I met Chelsea the Canadian, Ash and Gen the English couple in Iquique, Chile, and decided to huff it to Bolivia together. We were standing in a circle around our small mountain of luggage at the bus station, and while I was retrieving my passport, a cunning thief lessened my weight. There. Now we can move on. We took a horrific overnight bus to Oruro, and booked our nights for Carnaval in the city which is dubbed the second best is South America. Then, another horrific train ride for Chelseas birthday landed us in Tupiza, where we booked a four day tour up to Uyuni, stopping almost every thirty minutes at amazing rock formations, large reflective lakes full of flamingos, and large plains full of llamas celebrating the arrival of Carnaval by wearing large red earrings. Lloyd supplied coca leaves for the gringos in the car who took turns suffering from altitude sickness, we slept under piles of alpaca blankets to curb the frightening chill at altitudes nudging 5,000 meters, and held our noses at the sulfur geysers that bubbled like the Bog of Eternal Stench. The highlight is the Salar de Uyuni, the worlds biggest salt flat, where the reflection settles to form a perfect double image against a near perfect white sky, providing perfect photo opportunities. And yes, I did have a cut on my toe.

2 comentarios:

  1. I think it goes without saying that if you can find me something with a llama in red earrings? I need to have it. (That was a given, right?)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Oh. And nice David Bowie reference! ("Nah, I'm just a worm.)

    ResponderEliminar